Monday 20 June 2011

Concrete Jungles Where Dreams Are Made Of


At night Lyndsay and I go to sleep listening to the strangest sounds. It is as if an exorcism is being preformed right outside our window. A mix of church songs praising the lord with a man yelling in a very loud angry voice in Setswana, mixing in the odd English word or phrase and repeating everything multiple times “Power … Power… POWER” more Setswana “Burning in Hell…Burning …Burning in hell… FIRE.” Needless to say this makes for some nice lullabies supplemented by the occasional Jay Z and Justin Bieber beats drifting in from our neighbors open windows.

In the morning we are greeted at 5am by the voices of roosters fighting to be herd over one another. As I pull my sleeping bag over my head trying to hold on to sleep, the sounds of the house start. Shelia in the kitchen banging pots around and Ma Josephine going about slamming doors. Awake now I wait for the knock and sure enough there is. Lyndsay and I look at each other across the room through mosquito nets to see who wins the nose game that morning. The looser gets up to answer the door and try to explain that our work doesn’t start till 8 and then engage in the never-ending game of denying the hot water. Some where the rules were lost in translation as she persists daily multiple times each day after we politely explain that we take enjoy cold water for our baths as it is very hot here for us. We are already dampened by sweat. I have yet had to wake to my 6:20 alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment