Wednesday 22 June 2011

Safari Barbie


Because of our clothing, Isabelle and I were reluctantly given the nicknames Safari Jane and Safari Barbie (which I hope I don’t portray). Our plan is to buy a truck or an old school jeep and adventure around. I think it would be so cool to put a mattress on the roof like we saw a couple do and sleep under the stars. Even though its all jokes how sick would that be if it happened?!

The stars here are also so much different then back home. Its weird looking up and not knowing any of the constellations. Solution: I will set out to learn them.

Before Isabelle, Thomas and Faisal were to head back to Francistown we had the opportunity to do a game drive together. This turned my mood 100 percent around after meeting my home stay (which I’m not prepared to write about just yet). Sitting in the truck the wind blowing though my hair surrounded by a TON of animals, beautiful landscape and laughing with the group was exactly what I needed. We were so much closer to the animals then on the boat it was crazy! A huge herd of Elephants came right up to the truck, so close that I could feel the wind as they flapped their ears and if reached out could touch them. Our guide Anthony advised not to move, and so we sat there mesmerized, adrenaline rushing. We pulled up to a spot overlooking the wetlands where we watched the sun set, which was so fast I was able to take a video of it literally sinking below the horizon. Nearing the end of the tour, Faisal spotted two Lions! I can’t even describe his excitement (as it was all he had been talking about) it was too great.

Anthony was a wicked sweet guy. We got talking about wild adventures and after telling a few stories from camping in Canada he told me that he was going with some friends to the bush this weekend. We exchanged numbers and he has stopped by a few times (yay my first friend!) However to my extreme and utter disappointment they wont be getting back till Monday after I have to report for work and so I will have to wait till next time. Still I am so excited and terrified at the same time. Seeing the massive amount of wildlife in the area so close to the community, I can’t imagine what it will be like out in the bush only separated by a canvas tent! I’m full of nervous anticipation and think it will be very interesting and hard-core to camp and learn the survival skills of the terrain. Safari Barbie enters the savannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment