Monday 4 July 2011

Call Me As You May

My name is really difficult for the people here to pronounce, just as I find most of their names equally challenging. When I introduce myself as Chloe, after the third or fourth time I usually settle for “Claurie”. As a result, for a girl who has grown up with out a nickname I find myself constantly answering to many.

While hanging out Anthony decided to give us Setswana names to which mine is Neo meaning “gift”. Mama Josephine has adapted to introducing me as Neo to her friends, congregation, neighbors and the various number of other people passing through our house (conveniently at dinner time). This is often met with laughter and a nice conversation starter. As Susan informed us unable to keep a straight face, its such a funny thought to have a white person with such a Setswana name. To Mama Josephine I am “my daughter” and to the numerous other family members “my sister”.

At work we filled out some formal forms (which included my full name). Later that day, after not looking up to “Nicole…Nicole…Nicole?” my boss came over being like “yes I am talking to youuu.” Since then I have adapted the name Nicole at work and when introduced at business meetings. And occasionally shortened to Nic during more casual times around the office.

Walking down the street the names are slightly less appealing and defiantly more offending. Including but certainly not limited to Blondie, mmm Candy, Beautiful, look White Person with a Black Booty, Kuyo… the list goes on and on.

I think it fits that with all of these changes and so much new that I also have a new name. It is kind of scary at the same time being so far from what I know. I almost feel like a different person.

No comments:

Post a Comment