Friday 22 July 2011

Half Way There

Photo; Faisal B.

Its mid summer, yesterday marking the half waypoint of my time here on project. I’m torn between two. Part of me that can’t wait to go back and the other part that never wants this to end. I would just love to hold on to the awe of new and thrill of adventure. One of the many things I want to take back with me is the relaxed attitude, characteristic of the Batswana life. I still want and need to be productive but also need to have faith and trust that everything will workout. I want to take the time to fully appreciate things. When you settle into a slower pace then the normal world wind of our everyday lives its true that your experience changes from that of a “point a to b” schedule to an enjoyment of this, of the moment, right now, that is your life. The sights, tastes, sounds and smells of everyday occurrences are enhanced with a gratifying meaning.

I want to take the time to speak with conviction and integrity the way Mr. Kashweka does. Each word meticulously and eloquently placed on his tongue. And the time to listen. To take the anxious rush of our everyday exchanges and conversations.

These are a few of the qualities I have recognized in Botswana so far and hope to imprint upon myself as I continue to reflect on the personal growth that we make everyday yet rarely take the time to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment